For the most part taking care of your plants and flowers during extremely hot weather is the similar to normal warm weather conditions. The exceptions are container plants or newly planted plants and flowers. Below are a few tips to help you take good care of your plants in hot weather:
- Of course, additional watering is a given, with new and potted plants requiring even more irrigation.
- Make sure that the right amount of mulch is surrounding plants to conserve moisture and keep plants cooler.
- Shade covers, especially with vegetable crops, will help keep plants cooler.
- Container plants will require daily watering. In extremely hot conditions water twice a day is recommended. Soak the soil thoroughly until water drains out from the drainage holes.
- We recommend moving potted plants into the shade during the hottest part of the day.